Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Glimpsing Cleavages Without Shame

I rarely talk about myself, but I see this as a great opportunity to introduce this notion with a very recent (today) personal story. While I was in my cognitive psychology class, the teacher posed a question to the students. One of the girls sitting across the room from me answered. So naturally I looked in her direction. As she was talking, I could notice that in the periphery of my vision a- might I say wonderful- cleavage presenting itself to me. It belonged to the tall blue eyed, black hair beauty next to me. I took quick peek as I’m inclined to do so quite regularly when the chance arises (no need for shame, this is evolution in action). After the microsecond glance at the “treasure” my eyes came back up and our gazes met. Oh this was a quite an awkward situation. After locking eyes we quickly turned away and buried the uncomfortable situation by fixating our attention on the teacher. Shortly after, she put on her heavy coat and kept it on for the remainder of the class. No one else did this, so I don’t think it was because she was cold. I couldn’t help but feel embarrassed and some what mad that I possibly ruined any chance of friendship between us.
Yet, I feel that I am at no fault. Like I said before, I feel no shame for looking. This is just how my genes express themselves. If anything, she is too stuck up. Doesn’t she understand that I am a man with hormones ranging, and she, with her slim and sexy frame wearing tight reveling clothes, is signaling to my genes strong erotic messages? Why else would a women wear tight or revealing clothes if not to have people glance at them. I can understand the problem with a prolonged unbroken gaze; in that situation I agree that the person is over stepping their boundaries. A quick glance is not the same as a prolonged gaze because the latter displays an uncontrolled quality which may lead to impulsive behavior, like rape. On the other hand, a quick glance shows an ability to restrain behavior which means one is in control of their actions. Therefore, we can say that a prolong gaze at a women’s figure is offensive because it displays the potential of carrying out impulsive and potentially dangerous behavior; but a quick glance is acceptable and even expected.
All in all, women shouldn’t feel offended when someone glances at their revealing frame or cleavage. If they didn’t want to be looked at in those areas, they wouldn’t wear clothes that reveal them. So men, glance freely with no shame, you are acting out the dance of life/gene maintenance. And women, if you don’t want to be looked at, cover up your body more. You cant expect men not to look. Its in their biological make-up to look/glance!

No comments:

Post a Comment