Wednesday, December 15, 2010

What is the Soul?


Age: 21
Sex: Male
Ethnicity:  Latino
Religious Affiliation: Spiritually Gnostic Atheist
Occupation: Student


What is the soul?
The soul is the feeling of being in the present moment. To clarify, it is the sensation of unity that can be expressed as the phrase, “I am”. Once again, it is the point of ones attention that hears, sees, tastes, thinks, feels, and smells. The soul can be thought of as the audience in the theater of conscious experience.

Does it survive death? And if so, what are the options for its final destination?
I do not believe that the soul(phenomenon of “I am-ness”)continues on after death. What continues to exist in my opinion is a pure awareness devoid of subject/object categorization.

How did you come to this conclusion?
I have come to this conclusion from researching similar topics in eastern and western spiritual esoteric traditions and philosophies, along with examining psychology, neuroscience, and cognitive science.
What I have learned from past spiritual traditions is that the soul is malleable in occurrence; while science has taught me that there is no fixated point where it “all comes together”. Melding these two paradigms, I have concluded that the soul is something felt and could grow and be developed on, but it does not leave the body at death because it emanates from the mortal brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment